Monday, February 7, 2011

FUN

I've been doing some reading today, on how to talk to kids about cancer. I think I need to talk, probably with both, but definitely with Keelan, about some of the specifics of my mom's illness. We've told them that she's ill, and that she might not get better, but that's about all. Not because we wanted to hide it from them, but there was so much we didn't know. And because I *couldn't* talk about it much without losing my composure.
Keelan's teacher mentioned to me last week that he had mentioned grandma's illness at school, but that he seemed confused by it. He's also been exhibiting some other behaviors... not going number 2 for days at a time, loss of appetite, fatigue. He could be fighting off a virus, but the timing is suspicious. I'm afraid he's feeling anxious. So, I think I need to let him in on a little more detail regarding my mom's cancer, and see if he has any questions. The kids have been to visit her since she's been ill, and it's pretty obvious that there's something wrong with her. Unlike other cancers that might seem 'invisible' to the observer, brain cancer in this case is quite obvious.
I don't expect either child to really freak out or anything, but I still feel sad that I even need to have such a conversation with them...

I started journaling. I bought two journals, one for mixed media, one just for writing. Both are dedicated to me coping with my mom's diagnosis and whatever that wings our way. I looked up the number of my old therapist, because I suspect I will need it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see an old therapist so that you don't have to waste precious time filling in someone new on your story.

I'm glad you are journaling.

I have been sending love your way.

~Maria~ said...

hugs, hugs, and more hugs. I hope I get to see you soon - MNO?

(I really like my life coach/spiritual teacher, and would be happy to share his information with you if you're looking. He is very open and loving. In a good way, of course. And doesn't use a lot of psycho-babble.)

Another thing I though of in respect to Keelan is this: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/child.htm

Sending more love and keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

haggardmom said...

I'm hoping to make it to MNO... still have to confirm babysitting.

Thank you for the link... although he only scores an 8 on the test, I do think he is more sensitive than most. How to handle that, going forward, I still have to work out.