Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Bad Thing... Turns Into a Good Thing!

So I finally decided... I need a smartphone. I need the function of a PDA, without having to carry an extra device. So I was puttering around on craigslist, and I found a used BlackBerry for sale (that didn't sound like a scam or stolen property LOL). The seller said she'd had it for a year and decided it was just too complicated. So, I bought it. WELL... I went to a Verizon store near where I met the seller to buy the phone. They were supposed to transfer my phone book and program the phone. Well, they didn't just transfer my contacts, they merged them with the existing contacts. And her contact list was HUGE. Plus, they forgot to program the phone. So, I get home and the phone won't hold a signal. I call Verizon tech support. I spend an hour on the phone trying to get it to work. In the end, the tech says that I need to update all the software, and if that doesn't fix it, there's something wrong with the phone. O-kay. I download the software and start the install. Install crashes in the middle and erases everything on the phone, including the OS. Phone is now stuck in the 'On' position with no OS. In a panic, and thank you internet, I Google the problem and find the solution to get the OS back on the phone, yay. Still won't hold a signal. By this time, it's late and I've dorked around with the thing ALL DAY. Next day, I take phone to a different Verizon store, close to my house. Enjoy having two little kids in a cell phone store. Tech there fiddles around with it for a minute, and thinks he fixed it. Cool. Later, pull phone out of purse and look at it... signal gone again. Not cool. So I decided to go back today, when I had some time in the morning while the kids were at school. I relayed to the customer service lady what had happened and she agreed that there was something wrong with it, and if I didn't mind paying $50 (because the phone is out of warranty) they could replace my BlackBerry for a new one. YES I will pay $50 for a new BlackBerry! So, in the end, I got a brand new BlackBerry for less than $200. And it does, in fact, hold a signal. Bonus!

I am also very excited about this:


It's a shoulder bag with little chickens on it! How awesome is that?? I can't wait for it to arrive.

No comments: