Saturday, December 27, 2008

6 Years Ago...


On December 26, 2002... my life changed forever. After about 12 hours of labor and 3 hours of agonizing pushing+pulling by the doctor, a baby girl entered my world. A baby that we had so waited for. Our first baby. Afterward, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck... but then, there was you. We were terrified and elated, and had not a clue what we were doing. I had all these grand ideas about how I was going to raise you, and all the things I wasn't going to do... like formula feed... and watch TV... but God and Mother Nature decided that I would not be gifted with enough milk to feed you exclusively, so I had to supplement with formula. I realized as you got a bit older that the no TV thing was not going to fly. You talked early and walked late. You ate everything until you turned one, then you wouldn't eat anything green. Then there was that I-Won't-Eat-Cheese-That's-Not-Yellow stage... You didn't sleep through the night until you were 14 months old. As you've grown, your incredibly challenging personality has been completely beyond all the parenting books. None of the things that work with other kids work with you. You have completely charted your own path. Sometimes, I look at you and can't believe how pretty you are... I have such high hopes and incredible fears for you, but most of all... I can't believe you're SIX YEARS OLD!
Happy birthday, my sweet girl...

No comments: