Thursday, August 23, 2007

Gettin' Figgy With It

It recently came time to buy refills for my Method air fresheners, so I thought I'd try a new scent- 'Fig'. I'm fairly certain it doesn't smell anything like real figs do, but it's interesting. It's certainly better than having the house smell like a combination of dinner, cat, and toddler butt.

I like to be fairly spontaneous, but when it comes to work and appointments and things, I really really hate the unknown. Since we received notice from my husband's employer that in October he would be required to work 12 hour shifts on a rotating schedule, I've been really stressed out. He talked to his manager, who says she'll allow him to work a fixed schedule, but I'll believe that when I see it. Now the union dude says that the way the contract is written, if the hospital eliminates a shift, they have to switch you back to the shift you were hired into. So from his words, it sounds like the hospital can't make him work 12's. So the union is going to file a grievance now, and it will probably go to mediation. In the meantime, The Husband is looking for a position in a different department. Where this will all leave me, I don't know, and that's what drives me crazy. I can't work if he works a rotating schedule, or if he ends up on a day shift. If he works 12 hour nights, I could probably work on the days he has off... but I'm not 100% certain that my employer is going to be terribly excited about me only being able to work on certain days of the week. They have been quite accommodating already. I can't say anything to anyone at work about it, because things might change. Plus, we are rolling out a new computer system next week, and I was afraid management might alter the amount of training they give me if they were afraid I'd leave. Frankly, I wouldn't mind staying home again, but the loss of (even my small) income makes my husband nervous. All these 'what if's' and 'maybe's' are really bugging me. Plus, my husband is not happy at work at all right now... which bothers me too.

I've got to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight... I've overslept twice this week, once by 2 1/2 hours!

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

Oh the joys of What if's; these are the things that keep me up at night. Relax, everything will work itself out I'm sure.