Friday, December 16, 2011

Meaningful Projects

One of the things that my mom loved to do, and was really good at, was building boxes as art pieces. I always marveled at the things that came to be under her hand.
I recently decided, quite out of the blue, to build one myself. I realized that I had a gift for a dear friend that needed a box, and somehow a plain old box or bag just didn't feel right. Of course, because we're talking about me here, I just started this project with only about a week to complete it. I've found that this project is pulling my heartstrings a bit... while I am full of hope and anticipation of the finished product (aaand maybe a little anxiety...) it makes me incredibly sad that I can't share this project with my mom. She would have been excited to see it, and she would have good advice. I hope I can honor her with a beautiful piece that is loved by the recipient.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is the project going? I celebrate the return of your creativity and the space you're keeping open in your heart to work on the sort of project your mom so loved doing.

haggardmom said...

Well, I waffle between cautiously optimistic and inward panic... I should not have waited so long to start. But the assembly is going well, so right now I'm feeling good about it. Today I'll go to the art supply store to look at papers to decorate the outside with... if I don't find what I'm looking for, then I'll probably be back to panic. :-)