Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fingers Crossed

Well, I dug up my first Hydrangea today... it was not easy, but it was not nearly as hard as it should have been for a plant as old as that one is. A well established Hydrangea has a massive root system. This one didn't have a root more than two feet long and 1/4" around. And it's at least 8 years old. I had to use my hands to do most of the digging, so I wouldn't damage too many of the roots. I noticed that my other Hydrangea is putting out leaves already, and this one was not. So, frankly I am a little dubious that it will survive. I think a couple of the stalks have mason bees hibernating in them. So, maybe I just put a lot of work into moving some bees from the front yard to the back yard. :-) Still, it might be that it isn't getting all the weather cues because it was in the shade (yes, I'll just keep on telling myself that...) so maybe it's just late.
I think I'll not dig up the other one this year, since it's leafing already...

The only fun thing about it was that I found a frog underneath the vinca as I was pulling it up around the base of the Hydrangea. Since it's cold out, he didn't mind at all that I had to relocate him to another bush. The kids thought that was great. Coralie named him Sam. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great that you found a frog. You know, D and I have been feeling sad that we don't have frogs at our place -- even down by the creek. But I heard the sound of one coming from the neighbor's yard this week so maybe some frogs will come here.

Your story about the hydrangea and maybe just moving the bees sounds like a poem or story. I appreciate how you tried to honor the life that is there/might be there in the plant -- even if it was different from what you hoped for. To make that conceptual leap in the way that you did shows how deeply you honor the garden.

I'm glad you're my friend.