Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Quiet House

Kids have been away this weekend, at the beach with their grandparents. It worked out great, as I had a 'mom's night out' last night. Ah, it was good to be with friends and laugh really hard.

Since the kids were gone, I was able to get to Home Depot and (finally) get a new shower head... took about 5 minutes to install. Shower no longer sprays the ceiling. Why did I wait so long to do this??? I have no idea...

Husband has decided that perhaps he really doesn't want to complete the Photinia removal himself, and yes, maybe we should hire a professional. I am glad he came around, before he dropped a limb on the neighbors' roof or something. However, I am not glad that he blew the fungus-infected wood chips all over my garden... :-(

My tomato plants have all burned... too many hours of direct sun in their location. *sigh* So, I rigged a little canopy of shade cloth with two shepherd's hooks. Guess I won't grow them there next year! My currant tomato has one wee little green tomato on it.
My father-in-law gave me a squash start that he didn't have room for... he'd started some winter squash from seed and had a few late starters. I waited for it to get a true leaf, and planted it in a pot today. I haven't tried to do a winter squash on a trellis before, so we'll see how it goes. Last year I let them wander on the ground and they did terribly.
The Husband and I have been discussing a rather significant project we're going to have to take on next year (or possibly the end of this growing season)- dividing and moving the garden bed. Ugh. The blueberries don't need to be moved, but they have the last bit of sun, and the rest of the bed is fully shaded now. We think that we might be able to grow stuff in the front yard instead... once the Photinia are all gone, there's going to be quite a bit of sun in the front. Access is a problem, so we're working that out. Previous homeowner put a fake creek bed in the front... except, we're on a hill, so not only are all the rocks migrating downhill, the loose rocks are an ankle-snapping hazard.

I sat outside for awhile this afternoon, did my meal plan... I haven't been doing it, and my waistline and wallet are paying dearly. I went to the bookstore yesterday and got the newest 'Sneaky Chef' book. I went to The Mac Store, where the disappointingly unknowledgable salesperson directed me to the mall to (maybe)get a screen protector for my 1st generation iPod. I hate the mall, so I ordered it online instead.

So, overall I feel pretty good that I didn't spend my entire weekend in front of the tube. I actually, like, left the house and stuff... :-)

1 comment:

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

Sounds like you got a lot done!
So much eeasier and faster when you don't have to schlep the kids along...