Sunday, November 1, 2009

Aww... Nuts

So, the nut yogurt didn't turn out. Well, not for the purpose I intended, anyway. It didn't set, so what I have is basically sour nut milk. I can use it for cooking, no problem. In fact, I am going to use some today for banana blueberry muffins...
I've been doing some more research on cultures, and have come to the conclusion that I am just going to have to go back to the goat milk and try a different type of culture. A lovely friend of mine directed me to Cultures for Health, so I believe I will try their Chevre starter. Apparently, if I omit the straining step I will have a nice goat yogurt. And, I won't need the yogurt maker (which, I think, is the source of all my troubles anyway).

Some interesting things I saw today... Coralie got me up at the unholy hour of 7 am (damn you, daylight savings time!), which is so wrong on a Sunday... anyway, I went downstairs, and saw a Sharp-Shinned Hawk sitting on my back fence. I have never seen one down so low, usually they stay at the tops of the trees. It eventually went after something in my neighbors yard.
Also, there was a Spotted Towhee on my corn cob feeder... this is unusual because they are ground feeders, and this is the first year that I have actually seen them go up to feed. They have been in the suet feeder too.

No comments: